Friday, July 23, 2010

the start of goodbyes

When I came to Korea, I knew that there would be a lot of other people coming and going. However I wasn't expecting, what I thought would be the constants in my life, to go as well. I knew I would have some Korean co-workers and I guess I thought they would be the constant. It wasn't till a few months later that I realized how wrong I was.
Almost everyone who was working at my school when I arrived has quit... maybe it's me lol. I doubt it. I was told later that that is the issue with working at a private school. A lot of people come and go so much. But I have a good school. Seriously, I think of everyone there like my family here. It is so sad everytime someone leaves. About a month ago, we found out one of the Korean teachers is pregnant. She's been trying for over 2 years so this really was a miracle and we're so proud of her... but i didn't think she'd leave a week later. Literally a week. 1 week later, another girl said her family was moving... so she left the next day.
There has been another guy roaming around my school. When I asked who he was, I was told that he was the new director. I wasn't quite sure what to think of that. We already had a director. My director was Ho and he was great. He was the one who interviewed me, who took a chance on me, who has helped me continuously in every way he can since I arrived, whose invited me over to his house for multiple dinners with his family. Even though I know times were tough at my school, I didn't think he would leave. Today he said he wanted to talk to me and Rory (my British co-worker) after school. He took us into a class where he said
"when i hired you guys, I made a lot of promises to you. I promised to help you in whatever way I can. I promised to take care of you guys and to make this the best environment possible. But now I have to go back on that promise. I have decided to leave the school and today is the last day." I guess I should've seen it coming. But I'm still so sad about it. He said "you know many students have quit the school lately. I think it's because of me. So I am doing what's best." Which is complete bull shit. People have their own reasons for quitting the school (it has the best reputation in my city, the only one with foreigners, and the biggest). But the fact that he's taking the blame means that he's been contemplating for a long time. I knew he was stressed and depressed. But i guess i considered him the glue that kept everything together.
We have a new director now, John (and yes, these are their English names lol). He seems nice. Ho promised that he would be as kind and helpful as he was. I really hope that is the case.
But I guess this is the beginning of the next month which will be full of good-byes. ... I think the saddest goodbye will be to Gillian and Lacey, who have been my partners in crime since I arrived. They leave in August. I'm enjoying all moments until then.
Call me emo, but happy Danielle may be temporarily on hold. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment