Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's getting Warmer....

Spring has finally hit full force. Winter took its sweet time, and now it's not only getting warmer, but a bit humid.... which makes for perfect beach weather :) There have been several days in which I've spent soaking up the rays at Haeundae or Gwangalli Beach. Both very nice beaches with tons of half naked foreigners walking around in boardshorts and bikinis, while the Koreans stand around and watch. The Koreans love their beaches and never cease to amazing me (hence the guy to the left).

A few weeks ago, I got to go on a field trip with my students to Fantasia Land... a smaller version of Disneyland (though Everland is in Seoul... this place was pretty small but still fun). I had a great time with my students and co-workers. We took the school bus to Tongdosa area (Tondosa is a famous Temple nearby). We gathered up all the students... around 45 or so. Once inside, they were informed that they could roam around on their own for a bit but had to be back in an hour in time for lunch. Lunch was pre packed for everyone. They took off!! This was the time that I, along with the other teachers decided would be good for a quiet lunch just us... and a few of the middle school girls who stayed behind. I was pretty curious what our boxed lunch would be in the land that didn't eat sandwiches or lunchables. But I was impressed. It was 2 kinds of chicken, rice, kimchi (of course!), and some little green thingies. It was actually still a bit warm and pretty good. And of course pepsi to wash it down.
Once we finished, I had been requested with some of the middle school girls to join them on some rides. I was definitely up for it. I will admit that my stomach/body can't handle some rides like it used to but I still enjoyed them quite a bit. I figured nothing could really be as scary as some of the rides at 6 Flags Magic Mountain in California lol.
We went on several rides. One being the boat that rocks really high back and forth. The picture on the left is my co-worker Iris and some of our middle school girls (along with some other people lol). They were so excited. It was so great to see them all hyped up and to hang out with them out of school. They even spoke a lot of english for me :)
I used to LOVE rollercoasters growing up. Don't get me wrong, I still get a major adrenaline rush from them :) However, it's amazing to see the difference in how my body handles it. When my body twists and turns, it makes me more sore now, I get more nauseated when I ride a lot of loops. I used to do amusement parks like pro! What happened to me? One of the rides we went on, had the most amazing backdrop. I couldn't believe some of the pictures that were painted on there. SOOOOO inappropriate for children! There were a couple different pictures... but for some reason I can't upload them. This is just one. Either this is giving people the wrong impression of what should happen on rides, or I've been missing out! The picture below on the left is of me and Julie (another co-worker). I was a bit nervous about this ride (tho she was a little too excited!). We're in this circle thing and it just keeps flipping back and forth 360 degrees. Uggg! The darn lap bar KILLED my leg!! And the fact that I was upside down for long periods of time... again, can't handle it like I used to lol. We did everything from the haunted houses to the 3D shows to watching live bands play. There are some really great Korean musicans I've noticed. There was a group of 2 guys and 2 girls that were playing like violin, saxophone and other instruments and they were just so awesome!! I think it's so funny how they play so many english songs. People can sing them, but no one knows what they're saying. Wierd since I can't figure out the words to the k-pop songs to save my life. I have fun trying though :) The picture on the right is of Gia (she is the daughter of one of my co-workers). She was sooooo cute! Front and center for the show. Clapping and dancing away. Mmy co-worker, Esther asked me "is it wierd for you that no one is dancing?" Me-- "Gia is dancing" ESTHER-- "Gia is a special girl. Very different from most Koreans. Most Western people dance to live music. We don't." ME--" Why?" ESTHER--" I don't know. I think they would like it if we danced, but no one does." ... interesting. But seriously, watching Gia puts a smile on your face for sure :)
On another note, would someone please tell me when Snow White dyed her hair blonde and grew gigantic boobs? I don't remember either of those things in the fairy tale. In fact, i don't remember her being this seductive at all!! Oh Korea lol.
And one last comment, for all the readers out there whom I know are dying to make a height comment. Yes, I managed to get on all the rides.... but barely (see photo). Again, I'm still short for Korean. But JUST tall enough :)

AFTER the amusement park, I left with my boss and his family to have dinner with them and some friend for the wife's birthday. They're such a sweet family (even if my boss does creep me out sometimes). We had a great dinner, up a mountain in this hidden away restaurant that was right on a lake. It was sooooo beautiful and peaceful and tranquil. This restaurant was known for their duck (which was apparently quite expensive). I'm still picky on the meat thing, but I did try it. It's not bad. But I think my conscious got to me. I can't do it. I stuck to the pork (even though pork isn't my meat of choice (beef) but here in Korea, I've managed to eat a lot of pork at BBQ).
I hung out on the guys side for awhile, talking smack about the World Cup (my boss lived in England for awhile so he was talking about how they were going to crush US... ha ha we wound up tying at the World Cup ). Then I joined the womens side of the table.


Going to bed... write more in the morning

1 comment:

  1. hello pls i need also help 4 travel in jeju ... pls send me mail ruturaj830@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete